What not to feed your puppy!

What not to feed your puppy

 

 When we are cooking at home it can be tempting to give our pets some of our food, especially when they are gazing up at us with those big brown eyes! It’s important to be aware that some foods that we enjoy every day can actually be harmful to our pets.

The following foods can be toxic to dogs, please do not feed your puppy any of these foods:

• chocolate

• macadamias

• chewing gum or lollies containing xylitol

• fatty meats or cooked bones

• onions, garlic or chives

• grapes or sultanas

• avocado

The foods listed above will vary in how dangerous they are to dogs. For example, if a big Labrador eats a small grape they may look fine even if they’re feeling a bit sick, but if a small puppy eats a little piece of dark cooking chocolate it’s a life-threatening emergency. There are variables which impact how dangerous a food is - including the food type, size of the dog, time since it was eaten and individual sensitivities. The best advice we can give you is to avoid these foods and if you think your dog has eaten something they shouldn’t have immediately call your vet.

During life’s celebrations please remind your guests to keep food out of puppy’s reach. At Easter be careful if you are hiding chocolate eggs for the kids and at Christmas don’t place chocolate giftboxes or Christmas puddings under the tree. It can be tempting to give our dogs a little piece of the Christmas ham or a few left-overs from dinner but rich, fatty foods can make them very sick. Dogs can develop a serious illness called pancreatitis from eating fatty meat or rich foods. 

Puppies love to explore and they can easily get into a handbag or groceries left within reach and accidentally eat something that is harmful to them. It is important to never ever give your pets human pain medication; these tablets are absorbed rapidly making the window of intervention to save them limited. We don’t want to scare you but many puppies have died from accidentally chewing one or two paracetamol or ibuprofen tablets.

If you’re not sure if your puppy has eaten something it’s always better to be safe than sorry, act quickly and call your vet for advice immediately. This may save your pet’s life! Early intervention is the best (and the most cost effective) option to help your pet.

Visit Vets Love Pets for a selection of yummy treats and chew toys to spoil your puppy safely.

Follow Vets Love Pets on facebook!

Leave your comment